Monday, September 19, 2011

Illustrative Drawing With Mr. Tardino.

This class. Finally a workload that is threatening to cave my entire life in on itself in an enjoyable way!
Illustrative drawing is one of my classes for the fall 2011 semester. Essentially we (the students) are each creating our own story for which we are designing characters, creatures, environments, etc. The fall semester centers a bit more around animals since we are able to go to the Columbus zoo!
My story is still a work in progress (as is every other story in the class)- but a quick summary of what I have typed up is here: (scroll past if you'd like to avoid reading)

So if you scrolled past basically all you need to get out of it for now is it takes place in Russia in the early 1900s (around 1905-8) and the animals involved are a Silver Langur, a Siberian Tiger, a Grizzly Bear, and two Timber Wolves (brothers). So far our class work has been mostly sketches and studies. I'll shut up now and let the pictures do some talking.



These three painting sketches were (as Tardino called them) "dream-scapes"- essentially quick environmental studies to get a mood and atmosphere across to the viewer. But from what I hear (from my roomie who is in the Monday class) he didn't want figures in them yet? Then again the example he showed us had characters in it so I just don't know anymore. But this is what he's getting.



Then some skeletons for all the beasties....and some walk cycles HERE and HERE.







Then some studies from the zoo itself....

All in all lots of work and I'm curious to see what my finished works wind up looking like for this class.

1 comment:

  1. Really great work you've got going on Kate!!..clicked on the walk cycles expecting to see several individual pics posted side by side and was wonderfully surprised to see them together in flip animation..well done! Keep up the awesome work!! :-)

    ReplyDelete