Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fiiiiiigaaaaarroooooooo

I had to.


But hey, poster's done :)
This is actually a good post to talk about something that's been irking me lately- compositions.

Now the original drawing/concept for this poster that I landed on was this:
* yawn *

My most recent and haunting realization about my art and compositions is that they tend to be boring. Really boring. And I know why too. Anyone who knows me knows that I love movies a LOT. I like to think of myself as a film buff to a degree (still a lot I need to see though). Now, cinematography can have some wonderfully exciting things going on, but what am I a sucker for?


Clearly I have a thing for strong horizon lines and a few lonely figures. But why do these scenes look amazing while being watched? Because it's film. It's in motion and that changes almost everything. Now, typing this up I've realized something else. Lone figures and lots of environment can work. Well I'll be damned.

(2001)

I see what you did there Kubrick.
Now that I'm thinking this through more maybe it's not so much compositions as it is environment....bloody hell. Looks like I'll be printing out lots of reference photos here and start playing with landscapes and interiors. Hopefully that will help some. Moving on with life......

No comments:

Post a Comment